Everyone is welcome to shop at our co-op – owner or not – and everyone is welcome to join. We think the benefits of ownership make joining nearly irresistible. Become a co-owner!
Co-operatives cannot exist without owners. Member-owners literally own their co-ops. Co-ops exist to provide products and services the owners want. Joining a co-op means becoming an owner, a shareholder.
- Shared ownership of two vibrant natural food stores;
- Eligibility to run for the Board of Directors and help guide the future of the co-op;
- A vote in the annual election and any votes that come before the membership;
- Subscription to The New Beet, the newsletter of Franklin Community
- Co-op (free classified ads);
- Check writing of $50 over amount of purchase;
- Case discounts on pre-ordered items;
- Share in the profit of the co-op (currently distributed as a 2% discount at the register), and with Patronage Dividends, co-ops can return money back to owners in profitable years, proportional to the amount spent at the co-op;
- An opportunity to participate in co-op supported community activities and a 10% discount for working members who fulfill a work commitment;
- Food For All discount program for income eligible member-owners;
- Weekly yoga classes at a nominal fee; held at The Recover Project, Greenfield (free), Green River Yoga, Greenfield and Shelburne Falls Yoga.
- Special pricing on Community Acupuncture sessions, Greenfield. (10% discount on the cost of your treatment any day except Tuesday).
- Special pricing for member-owners on classes held at the co-op and at The Little Cooking School in Shelburne Falls;
- Discount when you join Better World Travel Club. Better World Club is a socially responsible auto club, providing 24 hour nationwide roadside assistance, insurance, and travel services. To receive a 25% discount on new joins click here. Existing BetterWorld members receive 10% discount on renewals.
- An investment in our community!
Joining is easy!
To become a member/owner you must purchase a share of stock for $175. This is a one time purchase and represents your ownership. If at any time you with to withdraw your membership, you can redeem your stock for the full amount invested, as per our bylaws.
There are three options for payment plans:
- Full payment – Invest the full investment of $175 and receive a Co-op shopping bag in appreciation.
- Plan 1 – Initial investment of $50 for the first year and $25 per year for the next five years for a total investment of $175.
- Plan II – $10 per month for the first five months, then $25 per year until the full $175 membership is paid.
Member shares are owned by individuals. As many as three additional adult household members are eligible for member benefits if they reside at the same address. Member shares are fully refundable as per our bylaws. Benefits are available immediately after the first investment.
Our membership form requires a signature. You can pick up a form at any register at our co-op stores.
Everyone can join! If investment of the share amount would create a hardship for you at this time, the co-op has a deferred equity shares option. Please request a “scholarship“ application at the Member/Customer Services Desk at Green Fields Market or the front register at McCusker’s Market.
Our co-op strives to make healthy food accessible to everyone in our community. Food For All program is a Member-Owner benefit which makes healthy food more attainable. Do you receive SNAP, WIC or SSI? You can receive a 10% discount on your purchases from the co-op. Food For All application
There is one regularly scheduled Annual Membership Meeting (the first Sunday in March). All members are encouraged to attend. We review the finances of the past fiscal year, elect one-third of the Board of Directors, vote on issues subject to membership approval, and discuss any other issues that are pertinent. We share a meal, host speakers and entertainment.
Each stock holding member is entitled to a vote in elections for the Board of Directors and other decisions made at the annual meeting or special membership meetings. Members may also attend Board meetings and may vote on decisions made there.
As a member/owner you share in the profit of the co-op. This is distributed as a 2% discount at the register. Members receive a 2% discount on store purchases.
We also have a Food For All discount program for members who qualify. Download the application.
Interested members can participate by running for election, attending the Board of Directors meetings or serving on a committee.
Your ideas are always welcome by staff; committees and the board. Speak directly to someone, write a proposal or attend a board meeting. Suggestions are welcome in the suggestion book in the stores or by making a comment via the Contact Us tab. Communication and feedback are essential to the functioning of a healthy co-op.
Members may apply to work in the store or on a committee. Working members contribute to the efficient operation of the co-op. Working member discount privileges – 10% on purchases – are given to the household of a member if the adults fulfill the following work requirement and are current on their equity payments: 2 hours per month per adult in the household. “Super-worker” jobs are specific jobs that require a greater time commitment. Super-workers receive a 15% discount. To start, attending a Working Member Orientation is needed. Upcoming orientations are posted in the Member Work Books at each store where you can sign up. They are also listed on the Calendar Page.