Our co-op has been providing access to natural foods in Franklin County since 1977. Working together with community partners, farmers, food security organizations, and other co-operatives we are all part of our a vibrant food system.
We recognize that an important part of the co-op’s mission is to contribute to a healthy, sustainable community. Our co-op contributes resources in a variety of ways having an impact on the vibrancy and quality of life of in our community.
Member-Work Options in the Community
Member-owners can receive a discount on purchases by fulfilling member-work hours volunteering in community organizations and events. Over 100 hours of member-work hours are contributed each month by co-op members.
Interested in volunteering time? Please attend a working-member orientation as a first step. See our calendar for the next orientation.
Organizations and events which receive co-op member work hours:
(please note that many of the organizations we partner with have their own volunteer requirements)
- Stone Soup Cafe, Greenfield
- Greenfield and Shelburne Falls Visitor Centers
- Center For Self Reliance, Greenfield
- Franklin Area Survival Center, Turners Falls
- Franklin County Community Meals Program
- Greenfield Community Farm, Greenfield
- Red Gate Farm Education Program, Ashfield
- Recycling/Composting programs at the Franklin County Fair, Pumpkin Festival, Garlic & Arts Festival
- Great Falls Community Garden
- Area Senior Centers, Music Program
- Free and discounted Yoga, Recover Project, Greenfield, Green River Yoga & Shelburne Falls Yoga
- The Literacy Project, Greenfield
- The Brick House, Turners Falls
- New England Learning Center for Women In Transition (NELCWIT)
- It Takes A Village
- Rainbow Elders, project of LifePath
- Shelburne Falls Food Network (Community Meal in Shelburne Falls)
If you have an idea about a way the co-op could serve the community with member hours in the areas that work towards our Ends (our mission) let’s talk!
We are particularly interested in Food, Nutrition, Health and Hunger issues, Co-operative Economy, serving Franklin County, Sustainable Agriculture, Recycling, Conservation, Preservation of Habitats, and Community Building!
Donations & Sponsorship
Please see our Donation Request process on the Co-op & Community page.
For event Sponsorship or Advertising, please contact Sarah Kanabay, Outreach and Communications Manager with your request. firstname.lastname@example.org
Serve our Community
A regular part of our staff work is to be involved with community organizations and business development. Our co-op is a member of:
- Franklin County Chamber of Commerce (Suzette Snow-Cobb elected to the Board)
- Greenfield Business Association (David Russel on the Board of Directors)
- Greater Shelburne Falls Area Business Association (Sarah Kanabay serves on the Board)
- Franklin County Food Council
- Neighboring Food Co-op Association (NFCA, founding member, Suzette Snow-Cobb, board president)
- National Co-operative Grocers (NCG)
- Valley Co-operative Business Association (VCBA, founding member, Suzette Snow-Cobb, board president)
- Valley Alliance of Worker Co-ops (VAWC, associate member, Suzette Snow-Cobb stakeholder representative board member)
- Franklin County Community Development Corporation (FCCDC)
- Community Involved In Sustaining Agriculture (CISA)
- Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA)
- New England Farmers Union (FCC co-op member-owners receive membership discount)
- Pioneer Valley Grows (PV Grows)
- Co-op Power (investor in Northeast Biodiesel)
- Frontier Co-op
- UMass Five Credit Union (seg partner)