Like many other food co-ops across the country, Franklin Community Co-op uses Policy Governance as its governing model. In this governance style, the Board of Directors creates policies to guide the General Manager.
A Statement of Ends is a co-op’s most overarching goal. Franklin Community Co-op’s current Ends Policy was adopted in February 2009.
Franklin Community Cooperative Statement of Ends
- Global: The co-op will be an innovator and collaborator in the process of creating a regenerative and sustainable local community, economy, and food system.
- E1 Our community will be educated about our food, food systems, health and ecology.
- E2 The co-op will supply healthy, reasonably priced foods–and other goods and services–that benefit the lives of the members, community, and all those who worked to bring these goods to us.
- E3 The co-op will provide a central place for the members and community to congregate and strengthen the social fabric of our community.
- E4 The co-op will foster a positive working environment for all staff while providing a living wage, and excellent treatment of all workers.
- E5 Customers will have a positive experience with each visit.
- E6 The co-op will be an outstanding example of the Cooperative Values and of the Cooperative Principles.
- E6.1 Cooperative Values: self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, equity, solidarity and the ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility and caring for others
- E6.2 Cooperative Principles: Voluntary and open membership, Democratic member control, Member economic participation, Autonomy and independence, Education, training and information, Co-operation amongst co-operatives, Concern for community.
- E7 The Co-op will champion justice in Franklin County and beyond by demonstrating leadership on issues of racial and economic justice throughout all levels of our food system, increasing access to healthy food for people of every socioeconomic status.
- E8 The Co-op will strive to become a fully inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural organization.